Getting Started with E4S for Industry and Agencies Workshop
The Extreme-scale Scientific Software Stack (E4S) project aims to tame both the complexity and portability problems by creating an ecosystem of numerical libraries, runtime systems, and tools that lowers the barrier for entry for the HPC and AI/ML developer communities. E4S is a community effort to provide open source software packages for developing, deploying, and running scientific applications on HPC platforms. It aims to deliver a modular, interoperable, and deployable software stack based on the Spack package manager. The “Getting Started with E4S for Industry and Agencies” workshop was held on June 14-15, 2021. The intended audience was technical people from companies and US government agencies that are considering using E4S in their environment.
Workshop Agenda (Slides)
Day 1: Monday, June 14
8:00 AM – 9:30 AM – Overview E4S, Mike Heroux, Director of ECP Software Technology (Video)
- Who should attend:
- Technical Leaders and developers who may or may not be familiar with E4S;
- Prospective and first-time developers using E4S
- Topics addressed: This overview will discuss the philosophy behind E4S, the E4S components, and why industry should understand and consider adopting some of these components.
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Getting Started with E4S for Industry and Agency Tutorial, Sameer Shende (ECP Technical Lead for E4S) and team (Video)
- Who should attend: Prospective and first-time developers of E4S.
- Topics addressed: Hands-on instructions on the E4S build environment. Participants will learn how to incorporate E4S products into codes. Participants may use their own code or one provided.
Day 2: Tuesday, June 15
8:00 AM- 9:00 AM: E4S Q&A (Video)
Opportunity to discuss with Sameer Shende and Mike Heroux any high-level questions on what products to consider for specific industry/agency applications
- Who should attend:
- Technical Leaders and developers who may or may not be familiar with E4S and have questions about applicability to industry problems
- All Tutorial participants
- Topics addressed: High-level questions on what products to consider for specific industry/agency applications, unanswered questions from Day 1
9:00 AM – 11:45 AM: Continuation of hands-on session focusing on AI & ML, GPUs, Sameer Shende, E4S (ECP Technical Lead for E4S) and team (Video)
- Who should attend: Day 1 tutorial participants.
- Topics addressed: Continued hands-on instructions on the E4S environment
Topics addressed in tutorial
- Pantheon demo – David Rogers, LANL
- Performance evaluation tools: TAU
- E4S AI & ML packages
- E4S GPU support
- GPU runtime support: OneAPI, ROCm, and CUDA
- Advanced Spack: E4S Spack build cache